October 28, 2007

Track 15: An Urban Reprieve

Hello from Sacramento!

So, the farmers market was pretty good (but not as good as Minneapolis or St. Paul). I bought a bunch of stuff that you definitely wouldn't find at the St. Paul market (because of their local-food rule): pomegranates, persimmons, Meyer lemons, mandarin oranges, and Sacramento olive oil. I also bought fresh strawberries, then proceeded to eat them all before I left. Here's a photo of my loot:












Tonight I'm having dinner with Jake and Debbie and their friends Matt and Sarah. We're making fajitas -- seriously, I can't escape the good food (not that I'm complaining TOO much).

This past week included preparing more beds in the garden and planting more garlic and shallots. We harvested a lot of veggies, delivered some to the bed and breakfast, and continue to eat tomatoes. We also did some trail maintenance, which basically means hauling around big tree branches that Steve cut down. Who needs a gym when you've got 56 acres of property to maintain? I slept VERY well that night. There are the daily chores too, like collecting walnuts from the two walnut trees.

After a not-so-pleasant second trip to Incahoots (I guess they don't like people bringing their laptops after all), we discovered The Saloon, which, unfortunately, is only open Thursday-Sunday. Mark, the bartender, is so friendly, and they have the best bar popcorn I've ever tasted. They don't have wi-fi, but they do have a great jukebox.

Apparently, people have been concerned about my proximity to all the fires in southern CA, but I'm not even close. So stop worrying! I did look into helping with disaster relief, but they say they have all the help they need right now.

I posted a few more photos to Flickr, so head on over there if you're curious. I have to leave this coffee shop before the lovey-dovey kissy couple next to me gets any more annoying...

No comments: