November 07, 2007

Track 18: Who, Me? Mysterious?

Wow -- I guess people are actually READING this thing! (That makes me feel good.) I got several e-mails from people wanting to know more details. So, here's the scoop:

Reasons I Am Heading Back to Minnesota:
1. I heard it already snowed there, and I got jealous. (Just kidding!)
2. As much as I've enjoyed working outside, getting fresh air, and feeling more connected to the earth (as hokey as that sounds), I am really anxious to get back to civilization. Thing I've Learned #1: I am more of a city girl than I thought.
3. Part of heading back to civilization means getting back to the people I've grown to love over the past 6 years, whom I've missed very much. Thing I've Learned #2: I found a niche in the Twin Cities without really realizing it. I was hoping that I would come to some kind of realization when I got some distance, and it happened.
4. I have issues with the personalities of some of the people at the farm. I don't want to elaborate should these people ever happen to find their way to this blog, so I'll just stop there.
5. I am tired of sleeping in a trailer.
6. All of this sunshine is making me TOO happy. (Kidding again!)

I guess I've gotten whatever was in my system -- namely, romanticizing farm life -- out of my system, although I know that I do need it in small doses. I'll probably join a CSA (community supported agriculture) next summer that offers members a chance to go out and work on the farm in addition to getting fresh, local produce every week. And I'll have my community garden plot, or a backyard garden, depending on where I'm living. I'm also thinking about trying the "100 Mile Diet" sometime next summer, when the growing season is in full swing. I finished the Barbara Kingsolver book (can I just repeat how awesome it is?) and am starting another book about people eating locally for a eyar. It's called Plenty, and it's written by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon.

I have to say, though, that not having reliable internet at the house has led me to be very resourceful with my laptop. For instance, right now I'm at the laundromat, and I'm able to pick up a wireless network from the athletic club across the parking lot. God bless these people and their inability to password-protect their internet access!

No comments: